Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What Med School is Like

It seems like whenever I get overwhelmed with what is happening at school, someone asks me how school is going. They mean well. I love that they care, I really do, but I have no way of explaining how I'm feeling without sounding like I'm whining.

The blogger "The Rumours were True" compared med school to eating 5 pancakes every day. He has something there, and it's definitely worth a read.

The idea was made into a short film.

Why do we put ourselves through it?

Dr. Unnecessarily Angry Surgeon comes to in to teach at least once a month

I've been able to get to know the entire class. Really. I know everyone's name and at least 2 bits of interesting information about them. Even the ones who never come to class.


OK, too many videos on one page, I'll start actually writing now.

I love school, it's a great experience. What gets to be stressful though is how absolutely impossible it is to do everything I want to. My undergrad style of note keeping went out the window within a few weeks of starting class - there just isn't time and it just keeps coming. There are "interest group" lectures about absolutely everything. It's a great way to learn what I want to do when I'm done school and I want to hit every one, again, can't.

There are a million committees and community interaction groups, councils and academic events that I want to take part in but again, just no time.

Not to mention the weekly (at least) party.

I'm constantly feeling guilty that I'm not getting to everything and doing as much as I possibly can. It's a bizarre thing. I'm getting used to the fact that I can't do everything but I don't like it. You know I'm pouting.

No comments: