Sunday, August 10, 2008

What I did on my summer vacation

I still owe you a list of the loveliness that I witnessed during my elective.

  • breast reduction surgery - this was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. The tissue went from looking like a train wreck to a perfectly shaped breast. Wow.
  • removal of a congenital defect from someone's tendon, a huge connective tissue chunk. Again, wow. Plastic surgery is looking less like something ridiculous
  • colonoscopy - ew
  • emergency ectopic pregnancy surgery - so much blood
  • 2 deliveries, both were natural and no tearing on either
  • I presented 2 cases to the internal medicine preceptor
  • witnessed a respiratory code
  • saw a passionate doctor calm the coding patient down with only a few words
  • saw an amputated toe
  • listened to a billion hearts and lungs, give or take a million
  • surgically assisted on a vasectomy
  • saw toe nails removed **always cut your toe nails straight across**
  • heard a patient scream at an emergency physician because she wanted to be treated immediately. She went on to compare the US EDs to Canadian "over there you're served in 29 minutes or it's free, they're proud of it", "like a pizza?" " ya". Witnessed Doc storming from room. What drama.
  • was asked by a 4 year old if I would give his mom a foot massage too when I dropped off a warm blanket

No comments: