Saturday, August 16, 2008

Who am I kidding?

It wasn't just being older than my class mates that I was worried about, it was being so much fatter. It was justified. Anytime a slide was shown with an MRI, an X-ray or surgery that showed a fat person, there was a chorus of "ew! Gross!" from behind me. At one point, a google image photo was used to demonstrate a risk factor for gout, excess weight. That got a giggle from the class. I was roughly the same BMI as the woman in the picture. That was upsetting, but not as upsetting as when someone put the photo into her profile pic on Facebook because he "thought it would be funny".

I recognize the hypocrisy in a medical student who is obese learning about how to counsel her patients on losing weight, I'm fat not stupid, but I can also recognize the difficulty in losing weight while under the pressures of medical school.

I'm actively trying to lose weight, joined an online weight loss program, have been working out at the gym a lot. I've lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks, and 10 cm off my waist. I was hoping to have more off before heading back to school so that it will be obvious, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

end confession

No comments: