Thursday, August 7, 2008

Forensic psychiatry

We were camping last week when the news broke about the decapitation in Manitoba so I was surprised when my physician friend mentioned it off hand. He is pushing me to consider specializing in forensic psychiatry since this guy clearly needs help and the courts will need a hand understanding why he lost it. I'm not sure I have the gumption to entire that field, but I couldn't agree more that one should come in to help out. This is a horrific event and I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

PETA has compared this event to animal slaughter and I'm not sure how to take that. While I can see why they consider the murder analogous to the mass meat industry, it's way too soon. There's been a lot that PETA has done that I have found to be tacky, but this is the worst campaign yet.

When I brought this up with an extremely paranoid religious person I know, I was told that it was the result of satanism. It's not a psychiatric illness, the devil made him do it. I guess that saves me several months of studying next year, the right answer for the underlying biological causes of schizophrenia? Satanism. Depressed? You're not praying enough. Thank goodness no one we know has any sort of mental illness like depression or other psychosis (said dripping with sarcasm). It was a short conversation because no one deserves to be shot on their birthday.