Friday, September 23, 2011

What's the radiologist's favourite breakfast food?

The waffle.

I had three patients I was seeing in a row. One had a hurt forearm, one a sore elbow and the third (a child) had a sore ankle.

After listening to their stories I sent all three for x-rays.

When the x-rays came back, I thought, in order, fractured, not fractured and I don't know. I made my call to the preceptor I was working with who agreed on all counts. We treated the first and third patient as though they had fractures and the second as though it was a soft tissue injury (rest, ice, elevation).

Yesterday my preceptor for that shift showed me the radiologist's report. Basically he said that it could possibly be a fracture along the growth plate or a variance on normal. We should make our decision clinically.

Thanks for that illuminating report.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: