Monday, September 12, 2011

Quizzy Apps

These are apps that I use when I'm bored of reading, when I'm still asleep and know I need to study something or when I'm passing time waiting for something exciting to happen. Great for those with attention issues like me.

Surgical Pimpapalooza
I love this app. The questions I was asked during surgery are the questions that I'd reviewed with the app the night before. The app has been updated so it's even better now - you can save your favourites to review. Favourites is a funny way to put it. More like the ones I screwed up the first time round.

It includes Basic Science (hematology, wound healing, infection, stats, etc.) and Clinical Science (Gen surg topics including breast and endo, head and neck, vascular, gyne, trauma).

The questions are relevant and worth knowing the answers to, e.g. " Indications for splenectomy in a pt with a splenic injury" " Patients with multiple associated injuries (neuro injuries), unstable or in DIC".

So awesome. So worth...

Price: $5.99

iMCQs in Dermatology
This app makes me feel dumb. Every time I think I know what I'm doing in derm, I mess with this app and learn that I'm wrong. I have so much to learn about derm.

The quizzes are set up according to categories, eczema, general, hair, infections etc. Choose your subjects to review and go to it. You are shown a photo and asked for the diagnosis, etiology or treatment. The app has been updated so that you are shown the correct answer and the rationale. Before the update it just said whether or not you have the right answer. That was just ridiculous. You can also ask for hints so you know what you are looking for in the photo.

This is much better.

Sometimes the photos are a bit tiny on my iPhone but you can expand them. This would be a fantastic app on the iPad.

well worth:
Price: $2.99

(looking up this price, I see that this is a series; physiology, general medicine, general surgery, biochemistry and pain medicine)

Emergency Medicine Secrets

Like other quiz apps, this one is set up according to systems, nontraumatic complaints, decsion making etc. Within each category are subcategories that you can choose from to get review questions.

For example: "What are the causes of abdominal pain that are gastric or duodenal in origin?" " An estimated 10% of cases of abdominal pain seen in the ED are due to gastric or duodenal disease. Gastritis and peptic ulcer disease (PUD; ulcer of the stomach or duodenum resulting from gastric acid) account for most patients with abdominal pain secondary to gastric of duodenal disease. Perforated PUD and gastric volvulus are the two most serious conditions requiring immediate diagnosis and treatment."

Remember when I said I had issues with my attention span? Yikes. These answers are pretty long. And they're for emerg docs - well known for their ADHD.

It's true that they are also well known for being afraid of being sued. Maybe this is a consequence of that.

There are also 100 Top Secrets: e.g. "A foreign body in the airway should be suspected in a child with sudden onset of respiratory symptoms and lack of response to appropriate treatment."

I'm a little indifferent about this app. The reading required is just a little bit less than what I do in my text books but without the handy index. It's an app version of the paper book. Not sure it's worth the
Price: $49.99




No comments: