Saturday, May 25, 2013

Suicidal Ideation

We are taught to screen for patients who want to kill themselves. Mnemonics such as SAD PERSONS offer us structure for listing risk factors that put us on high alert.


Often I hear things like "what's the point in taking my medication when it's only prolonging the inevitable?", or "I'd rather have hair than live the extra year that chemo will buy me." We call this passive suicidal ideation. People who do not plan to kill themselves but wouldn't mind if they were dead.


Shocking to me today, was the patient who calmly told me his plan for suicide. He has spent months researching a clean, pleasant way to die which he believes will not scar his family. He has even invited his brother to sit with him as he goes. This is a man who may not have long to live and wants to leave the world on his own terms, in the manliest way possible. Being eaten alive by wild animals would be preferable to the slow death his COPD promises.


More shocking to me, was the way I dealt with this news. I didn't miss a beat and continued to ask him to explore the idea.


Now that his plan is in the open, psychiatry needs to be involved to prevent him from preemptively taking his own life. I find myself questioning the futility of that, but will honor my oath and do all I can to keep my patient comfortable and alive as long as I can.


The psychiatrist may lift the Form One because the patient is reasonable.


In the mean time, I'm researching how to get an angry grizzly bear into the Resp unit with no one noticing.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: