Sunday, May 26, 2013

Med Students are Biased Against Obese Patients



I want to pull out the original study, but from this article it looks fairly well done.

Essentially, 3rd year medical students in North Carolina were shown drawings of a thin or obese person and the time to associate positive traits was measured. 1/3 were moderately to severely biased against the obese diagram.

This isn't shocking - we've seen it before with practicing docs.

When planning my education objectives in residency, I often hear warnings about recognizing that there are things I know I don't know, things I know I know, things I don't know I already know and things I don't know that I know

Something I like here is that they point out that we need to find a way for students to be aware of their bias. This is a tricky thing to teach since it often falls into the category "what we don't know we don't know".

Teaching students to recognize bias must be a lot like doing psycho therapy - challenging the thoughts that go on behind our actions. It may be that teachers acknowledging their own biases during case presentation may make it second nature for students to include acknowledging bias in their own work. Providing a positive role model to med students is important. We know that clerks are sponges for behaviours they see on the ward. It seems reasonable that positive behaviours can be picked up this way as well. Possibly, we need to devote class time to learning about distorted thinking. We discuss the biases which are inherent in most medical research but often miss the bias we bring to our everyday life.

"If doctors assume obese patients are lazy or lack willpower, they will be less likely to spend time counseling patients about lifestyle changes they could make," he said. "Doctors also may be less likely to recommend formal weight loss programs if they assume their patient is unlikely to follow through. "

Miller said bias might also make doctors less effective. "If a patient senses his or her doctor doesn't like them or doesn't respect them," he said, "that will damage the trust that is key to an effective patient-physician relationship."


This is an issue for more than just obesity. We see this in substance abuse and alcoholism as well. If we don't ask, don't offer help for change, we are cheating our patients.

More importantly, if we allow our biases to lead us, we are teaching the next generation of docs to do the same.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: