Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dear OR nurses,

While I generally have nothing but respect for nurses, I was very disappointed in your behaviour the other night. Usually nurses remind physicians that we need to be respectful of our patients. Hopefully you will understand why I was so upset with you, the small group of nurses in our OR on shift while I was on call.

To begin with, acknowledge that emergency surgeries are just that. When we put these on the board, we aren't trying to ruin your night. I know you prefer to sleep through the last part of your shift instead of having to work it. I also enjoy sleep. Patients don't want to have emergency surgery in the middle of the night. Please remember that sometimes our work is about the patient, not us.

Also, your stage whispers can be heard by everyone who is conscious in the OR including the patient undergoing awake surgery. I'm ok with you talking about me in the disparaging way you enjoy so much. I'm not ok with you talking about the patient while they can hear you, especially about how awful things look while we are desperately trying to calm them down.

I can't express how disappointed I was in your behaviour, or how grateful I am that your attitude is so rare among your colleagues.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: