Friday, March 9, 2012

Dealing with disappointment

Seeing so many of my colleagues get their first choice in the match this year made me excited for them. It also made me regret my decisions that let to me not getting my first choice of resident.

It was devastating last year when I didn't get my first choice, I tried to pretend I was happy with my placement but I truly wasn't. It took over a month to convince myself that residency, in a town I didn't want to be in, wouldn't suck.

I made my partner and I a home so we would be comfortable where we were going to live for (at least) the next 2 years. It's a comfy house that has a great patio in a nice neighbourhood. We're close to all amenities and less than 5 minutes from the hospital, perfect.

When I met my fellow residents, I was happy. This was as great group to be with.

My home base, a family health team, was welcoming and lovely. I felt like I was a part of the team.

But it still wasn't where I wanted to be.

This is why I did site visits in my first year of residency. No one that I know of was doing visits this year. I needed to remind myself of the happiness that was to come. It really helped keep me centered.

It also encouraged me to change the site I was at to one that would better suit my lifestyle and learning needs.

I start in a new town in July.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: