Saturday, June 5, 2010

more apps I'm using in clerkship

The Pre-test apps: There are a series of apps from Pre-Test. The same folks who put together the books. I have pdfs of the books as well, but I tended to use these instead. You can set up quizzes of varying lengths depending on how much time (or attention) you have. Each question has a detailed answer that can be too wordy, but can also be very helpful.

If you are writing an NBME these are very helpful. There are questions that only an American would ask, something I wasn't used to and was useful for passing my shelf exams.

I liked having these for "in between" times, waiting for clinic to start, an OR to start or your patient to make it in. But they are NOT cheap.

Available in medicine, psychiatry, emergency medicine, surgery, pediatrics, obs gyne, neurology, family medicine.

P: $29.99

Mnemonics: This resource has been pretty helpful, especially when trying to translate what a resident has said to me :)

It seems to have been put together by residents and medical students. I don't recognise all these study aids, but they are mostly useful. To be honest though, I didn't have that much time to really use them. It may be more helpful next year for the LMCE.

They can be filtered by discipline which can be very helpful. There's also a search function that lets you try to figure out why your surgery resident is talking about "Vindicate".

P: $1.99

Procedure Tracker: I was looking for a quick and organized way to keep track of the little procedures I get to do during clerkship so that I have them ready for my CaRMS tour. This is not the way to do it. It's not terribly user friendly and has very few procedures. To switch between specialties you need to change your settings each time, even thought there should be an incredible amount of overlap between many of them. Like many apps like this, it doesn't give you an option of putting in your own procedure. I get wanting to keep them unified so that you can quickly see what you have and haven't done, but I'd rather be able to add my own to their list.

But it's free.

P: Free

No comments: