Sunday, June 6, 2010

apropos of nothing

I was just thinking about my first boy-girl party.

It was my best friend's 13 birthday, the summer before we went to high school. We were in her dank unfinished basement in the dark with music playing and pop and chips. There was apparently a chair shortage since many of the girls needed to sit on boys' laps. Music was blasting (likely AC/DC or Bon Jovi) and I felt completely out of place. I don't think I've ever known how to behave at parties, let alone ones like this. These weren't really even our friends. If there was a movie theatre in town, I'm sure they would have rather been there, but with the slim pickings they found it worthwhile to be in the dark basement.

It's difficult to decide when it's time to go. Do I feign a curfew? A headache? Do I tell her I'm bored out of my skull because I don't have a lap to sit in?

These are the things I wish they'd taught us in health class instead of how our ovaries worked.


Posted by ShoZu

No comments: