Friday, June 18, 2010

the best part of working in the ED is days off


This morning I'm sitting on my patio with my cats, drinking Starbucks, eating a scone, loving my garden, enjoying the weather and Reading a book for fun.

FOR FUN!!!

I'm reading Complications, A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande. He's a general surgeon out of Boston and unlike the general surgeons I've recently experienced is very thoughtful.

The chapter I'm currently reading is about the need for learners to practice and the ethical implications that what we need to practice on are people. Given the choice between a fellow and a consultant caring for his son, even though Gawande himself was a resident at the time, he chose the consultant.

I know I keep coming back to this problem in medicine, but I really think it's an important one. Learners learn through practice but who wants someone to practice on the one they love?

How will we get to do enough procedures master them and allow the generation before us to retire?

Posted by ShoZu

No comments: