Tuesday, July 31, 2007

She was sick too



This post http://kateharding.net/2007/07/12/fat-hatred-kills-part-one/ shook me, and hit too close to home. My mom was never diagnosed with problems with the blood vessels in her legs and almost died because of them. Her doctor always told her that the pain in her legs was due to her weight. I'm proud of Mom. Despite this, she knew something was wrong. Yes, she was fat, but her life didn't have to be so painful. She eventually had an angioplasty done and now works out almost every day. She's still fat, but she's living her life too.
It's easy to judge someone, make a snap decision about what their problem will be. I do it all the time at my job as a reception clerk. When I see someone coming to my desk, I decide before they reach me what their problem/question/quirk will be. 98% of the time I'm right (I'm just that good), but the times I'm wrong, I'm really wrong. It's often humbling.
I hope that I'm able to remember that it's not just that my patient is fat, she's sick too.

No comments: