Friday, October 24, 2014

My moral fortitude is taking a beating

I keep thinking that it will get all better but I'm worried I'm wrong. 

I think every patient deserves to be treated with respect and that each of their concerns deserve consideration. They don't necessarily need to be dealt with immediately but at least a passing thought must be paid to them. 

I feel like to make this happen in my current working condition I need helpers. I feel like I'm being encouraged to not treat patients well and to write off certain conditions like depression and anorexia as lost causes. That I'm wasting my time for helping my patients with obesity stay motivated. 

The grumbly, crusty outlook that so many of my colleagues have developed over their years of practice is expected to take over me all at once now that I'm practicing. 

I feel like I'm having a true crisis of faith. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're feeling it. The great demon is taking you now. It happened to me years ago, in residency. The futility of it.

Let it make you angry. Then direct that anger towards something productive. Re-train if you must. You sound shot.