Saturday, December 14, 2013

Talking to people who are chronically ill

Those with cancer wish that they could spend time feeling carefree. Their entire lives seem to resolve around hospital appointments, medications and their side effects, support groups, and planning for their family's future without them in it.

This is why when I'm around those with chronic disease, all I seem to talk about are silly, frivolous, light hearted things; my kittens tearing my house apart, the recent adaptation of a children's book into movie, the way pink and purple make me feel happy, whatever moment is captured in photos around the room. Not just for the one with the disease but for their family too. Leave space for all of them to talk about seriousness, but give the give of pretending it doesn't exist, if only briefly.

Remind your friends, patients, family what it's like to be care free.

No comments: