Monday, January 16, 2012

So a car accident walks into a bar....


It was like a weird joke.

Driving to work, I saw that a van had flipped and there were no flashing lights yet. I pulled over to help because it looked like a bad situation.

When I got to the van, there was someone perched on top working on pulling the driver out. He said "don't worry, I'm a paramedic", guy beside me said "and I'm trained in first aid" then, of course I had to say it, "and I'm a doc".

I've always known that the paramedics do so much for the patients at crashes but I didn't really get it until I saw this guy on his way to other gig standing on top of a van helping an injured stranger out through the passenger window. I felt useless aside from acting as cushioning in case either fell off the overturned vehicle.

When the driver was safely at the barrier, he looked at us incredulous "you ALL stopped to help me?". He hadn't seen the cars on either shoulder of the highway making sure we didn't need the extra help. We didn't. This driver had a small cut from broken glass and was otherwise perfect. Lucky guy!

The first aid responder said it best "that's just what you do - someone looks like they might need help, you help them."

Words to live by to make this a happier place don't you think?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: