Saturday, August 13, 2011

Jam

I try to ask my in patients if there's something I can do for them before I leave. Sometimes it's a change to their bowel meds, others something goofy like get me out of here. It's a way for us
to get the little uncomfortable things fixed and sometimes have a giggle. I think it's good patient care. We are always running between patients and trying to get to clinic so the little things are easily missed.

This morning, after thinking very hard about it, one of my elderly patients waiting for placement replied "you know, I'd really like an extra jam for my toast. I love jam and one just isn't enough".

That patient is on a high calorie diet in an attempt to help him gain weight. The jam makes sense from my point of view.

I asked the head nurse if I could order it for him and she said no.

But, as I was leaving, she was on the phone with dietary making the request.

Things like that are good for patients, good for hospital staff. We are showing we care about individuals and by making my notes about the conversations we have and his request for jam, everyone who picks up the chart has a better idea of what kind of a person the patient is.

He's one who likes jam.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: