Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Who loves a vacation?

Between graduation and the start of residency, we have 5 weeks off to take a vacation, move, file our meds notes in the garbage (and for the true pack rat, our undergrad notes as well) and generally try to get a grip on the new reality that is the MD behind our names.

I know that I've had 4 years to get used to the new letters, but it's still freaking me out. It shouldn't matter, it's not like random people on the street are asking for prescriptions. But people I'm with insist on telling everyone we meet I'm now a doctor. This leads to conversations about heart disease, diabetes, stress and "thyroid".

"I'm thyroid". Really. Not hyper nor hypo thyroid, just thyroid. Got it. That's one for the medical journals.

That's a bit snobbish of me. But it is annoying, especially when I just want to buy milk.

Aside from buying milk, I have been quilting, finishing my MCCQE quilt, making buttons, planning my upcoming wedding and packing. I decided that doing a mad dash around Europe because it "would be my last chance ever" was setting myself up for a load of stress at the beginning of residency. I know that as a practicing doc I'll take the time to travel where I want when I want to rather than cramming it all in. Spending my time on projects that I want to has been rewarding and is making my brain feel squishy and ready to absorb more knowledge again.

But not until July 1st if it's all the same with you.

No comments: