Thursday, January 20, 2011

More med apps I like

iMurmur 2:
"Your Guide to Heart Sounds". Offers a reference to review the heart sounds you can expect to hear when patients present with specific conditions. The sounds are subtle, like in real life, and to my naive ear, sound realistic. It tells you where to expect to hear the murmur best and at what point in the cardiac cycle. You need to use it with your headphones for best effects. Descriptions of the pathophysiology are included. It's been useful when preparing for my OSCE and trying to remember what kind of murmur I should be looking for with specific conditions. I will never be an expert murmur hunter so it's nice to know that I have this to help me determine what I'm hearing when listening to a patient's heart.

Easily worth the:$4.99

General Medical History
This was a goofy app. I must have been desperate when I downloaded it. It starts with "Greet patient: shake hands and eye contact".
Really?
Shocking.

There are some basic ROS questions that I sometimes forget but I haven't used this since my first week on CTU. I actually forgot it was on my iPhone.

But, it's free.

PALS Advisor:
Pediatric Advanced Life Support, for dummies.
Pick the problem in front of you. Neonatal Resusc? Got it. Brady or Tachy? Asthma? Tox? Anaphylaxis?
All there for you

Then it walks you through the steps to get the kiddo back from the white light. It provides you with a series of algorithms to help you make the choices you need to make until the child returns to a state where it can be left with just the Peds Nurse.

It's fun to work through scenarios on my own then compare them to what the PALS advisor would do. The format is incredibly user friendly and every scenario I've wanted to play with has been available.

if you plan on doing pediatrics, family or emergency medicine, worth the $4.99

Physical Exam Essentials
The history with this app is a bit more helpful than the one mentioned above.

For each aspect of the physical exam, the app goes through the general principles, clinical correlate, special tests and presentation tips. It also includes relevant photos.

My favourite "general principle" suggestion is in the breast and axillae section:
"Avoid using words that may be misinterpreted as inappropriate such as 'looks great' or 'looks nice'. ..."
Really?

Anyway...

This app does cover most of the exams I needed to perform during clerkship (if not all). It includes the following categories: hx, general survey, skin and nails, HEENT, thorax and lungs, breast and axillae, CVS, PVS, abdo, male genitalia and anus, same for female, mental status exam, cranial nerves, neuro.

more than worth the $2.99

No comments: