Friday, November 5, 2010

CaRMS is rapidly approaching.

While I know I should have no problem explaining why I want to be a family doc in my personal letters I still find myself lost for words. I blame not writing here. So this isn't procrastination it's work. M'eh whatever.

I've been working with docs who help Canadian newcomers and refugees. These patients are teaching me so much.

I'm learning to be patient. Our interviews take at least twice as long since all questions and answers are filtered through an interpreter. My vocabulary often doesn't match either the patient or their interpreter so I need to come up with new ways to describe what most Canadians are easily able to recognize (e.g. weight loss).

I'm learning that some things make language unnecessary. Making faces at children, laughing, smiling and drawing pictures of flowers, friends and homes.  

I'm learning to laugh. Try doing a cranial nerve exam on someone who has no idea what you're doing. Hilarity will ensue I assure you.

I'm learning that my life is brilliant. I've never been shot. My house still stands. I haven't watched while someone I love was beheaded.

Learning daily from my patients will be my favorite part of being a doctor.

1 comment:

ST said...

This is one of my favorite entries. :)
We are indeed very lucky.