Tuesday, November 30, 2010

CaRMS is in



For my birthday my partner took me on an all inclusive trip to Cuba. Fantastic.

We left the Sunday before my residency applications were due which was a bit stressful but I felt like I was ready and had no concerns about my app.

The trip was brilliant - warm water, white sand, carefully screened sun and abundant rum.

The day my application was actually due, I logged onto the very slow, very expensive internet at the resort and checked in on my application. I've made it abundantly clear that rural medicine is for me. Imagine my shock to discover that my rural essay had not made it into CaRMS's hands. Horror of horrors. Seriously.

I ended up having to paste my essay into the small spaces available for me on the CaRMS website, sacrificing other aspects of my application to ensure that the program gets my wonderfully crafted essays about how I belong in the country. Gah.

But, in practice for the day that I will be a physician and need to leave bad days at the office, I finished, freaked out for 1/2 an hour, then jumped in the pool to enjoy the last few days of my vacation.

Stressful? Yes. But I think I'd finish my app early and leave the country again. It meant that I wasn't around while the rest of my friends were freaking out and causing me to stress.

Plus, of course, rum. Tasty tasty rum.


No comments: