Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ICU, kind of awesome

Stupid Shozu isn't working again so all my posts from this week haven't shown up.

I've been in the peds icu for my selective. I was really surprised by how few kids have actually been so acutely sick they needed the one on one nursing. It's mostly been a holding pen for the peds floors upstairs.

When acuity does happen, it's exciting. Everyone has their job which they perform well. I was told last week that it wouldn't have mattered if I'd forgotten to pass on that a blood sugar needed to be monitored because "this place runs itself". It's kind of true.

There are many protocols in place to give nurses guidance when orders haven't been written yet. The nurses pretty much run the joint. And
love their job. They have been teaching me all kinds of great stuff like physical findings on kids with congenital disease and why certain feeding protocols are in place.

We start our days by doing handover from the night before, this is done around a table with residents, consultant, nurses and RTs there. Then the residents and I pre-round on our patients. I always get the very well patients so I'm usually done quickly. Then we do xray rounds, looking at the most recent chest films before we round on the patients and potentially change their orders for the day.

Then it's lunch.

The afternoon is spent doing physicals on our patients and writing complete notes and doing teaching if we have a great (read learner
friendly) consultant.

I love ICU, but I think I need more doing and less talking in my days.

No comments: