Friday, October 10, 2008

Mini Vacation


We've been given 4 days off. I might be in heaven. There's definitely a huge list of things that I need to get done, but knowing that I have 4 whole days to fit them into is lovely. Plus there's no one else around so I'm not expected to show up for meetings anywhere. Pretty much divine.

I had my first large scale mistake last week. No one got dead, but an entire class of students was subjected to my idiocy. It really threw me because I was just starting to feel as though I had things together (well, non academic things). It's surprising to me how important it was that I get praise rather than chastisement for the effort I'd put into the project. I think it's indicative of a mindset I need to change for next year. I will be making more mistakes than a kid learning how to walk and I need to be ready to listen to the criticism. Now to make that magically happen...

We've moved on to the Gastro Intestinal tract and nutrition. I love it. Apparently I'm the only one in the class that does. Their loss.

I don't think I'll ever specialize in GI, but the anatomy and physiology is so interesting that I love it. There are so many mechanisms set up that make sure that we get all nutrients from our food - it's fascinating. The anatomy is simple and logical. What else could you ask for in a block??

No comments: