Friday, June 20, 2008


Still freaking out a bit about finals but I this week has been busy enough that I haven't really noticed. I'm doing a 5 week "elective" at a large centre away from med schools. It means I get to see a lot and I'm the first in line to watch it all happen/learn how to do it myself.

It's been great to see a team of doctors, nurses and nurse practitioners that work together so well. It makes me want to work at least part of the time in a hospital. So far this week I have seen:
  • C section, double ovary removal, tubal ligation
  • aortic aneurysm
  • cranial fracture
  • very sick people
  • drug seeking people
  • intubated 2 people
  • put a peripheral IV line in one
  • took close to 20 histories
  • did abdominal, respiratory, cardio and MSK exams
  • missed a fracture
  • got to hang out in the OR, ER, family doc's office
All together, it was a great experience for a first week!!

No comments: