Sunday, March 16, 2008

Oops.


I've gotten myself so far behind with 6 projects that I can barely breath. How did I let this happen? Too much T.V. probably. Stupid T.V. Plus I've definitely stretched myself beyond the real capacity I have for working.

Very little real work got done this weekend, but I did get into the habit of going to the gym every day, so I suppose that's something. I ended up counselling a couple people too - how is that possible? I'm on break fer cryin' out loud!

After doing 2 years residency in Family Medicine, we have the option of adding on a third year in whatever we'd like. I spent quite a bit of time looking at my options this week and am quite confused about what to do. Palliative care has been calling to me, so has psychotherapy, obstetrics and paeds.

Thank goodness I've got another 5 years before I need to make that decision.

Palliative care seems a bit out there right? It's not. One of the things that really drew me to medicine was the way my uncle was treated by the docs caring for him during end stage pancreatic cancer. They were patient and compassionate with his family as they explained the options and what quality of life he could expect if they continued treatment. They allowed us to have a mini - family reunion/going away party for him in his hospital room. To me, they gave him a good death. There's something really noble about giving people a good death.

To me a good death is on the terms of the patient. They deserve to spend their last days in the way that their well - self would have liked. Their family also deserves to spend time with their loved one in a way that is hopefully not entirely clouded by pain meds/end of life delerium. The family and patient need to be heard. This is a pivotal moment in their lives and they deserve to be able to talk about it and celebrate/mourn.

I was lucky enough to get to hang out with a palliative care doc a month ago. In the hospitals here, there's a palliative team working with the docs to provide a comfortable end of life experience. Social workers in particular are available to the patients and their family as they work through what will be happening next. Tests and medications that don't have short term effects are discontinued so that the last moments aren't spent being poked and prodded.

Maybe when I hang out with a psychotherapist though, I'll feel just as passionate.

No comments: