Friday, June 7, 2013

My thought process when choosing where I would practice

In my first year of residency I started to look for where I wanted to practice. I needed to know there was going to be a light at the end of this very long dark tunnel. Seeing how some practices ran, I had a better idea of what I needed in my own and things I wanted to avoid.

I wanted a team that acted like a team. Secretaries and nurses who felt empowered to deal with fires and update me later. Fellow docs who worked together and seemed to have each others' backs. An office manager who was excited about what was happening in the clinic. If the team wasn't able to at least fake this on my visit, they didn't get considered.

A clinic across the street from the hospital. I want to have inpatients and need to feel that I can run across during the day if one starts to decompensate, or starts pushing out a baby.

Hospital nurses who didn't glare at me. If they feel that poorly about a new doc, what must they think of their old ones?

A town within an hour-ish of friends and family. Not too close of course.

An office of my own with a door.

A clinic that allows docs to choose how quickly they'll see pts. Double booking two every ten minutes was not to going to work for me.

A clinic that doesn't need much fixing to make it amazing. I spent quite a bit of my med school career fixing curriculum and have no intention of doing the same while trying to figure out how to run a practice.

I want to teach so having learners regularly was important.

I want to be taught, so having fellow docs who are willing to guide me along was essential. I didn't want to be with docs that are burned out or just as new as me.

Finding a clinic where the docs love their job means that they will be good examples of how to set up my practice to avoid burnout.

I wanted a practice where I could work in the Emerg, deliver babies, help in the OR, see inpatients, and have a diverse group of patients in my out patient practice.

I want to be able to walk to work.

Having a town where housing prices weren't ridiculous was a bonus. Access to nature - hiking trails, water - was essential.

I'm blown away that my wish list was fulfilled. I'm truly looking forward to beginning practice (assuming I pass the damn test - only ten ish more days waiting).

Anything you would have added to your wish list?



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: