Monday, November 28, 2011

End of life

The Globe and Mail is doing a fantastic series on end of life care in Canada http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/end-of-life/. If you haven't looked at it yet, I really suggest you do.

Reading it has made me realize how very pessimistic I often am when strangers are in front of me in distress. The section on critical care reminded me that young people who are mentally capable end up on ventilation too. So much of my experience has been with both the elderly and those who have become mentally incompetent due to stroke that I'm forget that anyone else could find themselves in need of a tube down their throat.

That article in particular showed a hopeful future for a few of the patients and families interviewed. I'm sure that after talking with the family and patient I would see the value of ventilation but I hope I would be starting from a place of being able to listen and being open to the family's needs.

Seeing how futile vents often are for patients has already jaded me. I forget that people may have more that they need to tell their family and pets, how important getting to say good bye can be for a family, that people do sometimes get better and that having hope is one of our most precious commodities. At least I'd seemed to have forgotten all that while reading these articles.

My hope is that with the patient in front of me I will continue to have an open mind, to consider what the patient wants and to have hope for a brighter future.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: