Sunday, October 30, 2011

Unmet Objectives

Yesterday was my last day in the emergency department. It was a day of mixed feelings.

I didn't feel at home in this ED. They weren't familiar with having learners in the department and tended to make me feel uncomfortable and sometimes unwelcome.

The few preceptors who were enthusiastic to teach were a lot of fun to work with and I appreciated their caring and the cake they provided to say good bye with.

Despite my personal enthusiasm to learn, I only met a few of my many learning objectives. Part of this was from the volume we saw in the ED - I can't practice inserting central lines when there is no need for it. The preceptors were not comfortable with me taking the lead in cases where I could use my ACLS. It may be that they didn't realise that I was certified to help a patient whose heart had stopped.

I did however get very good at diagnosing UTIs, sinus headaches and sciatica as well as suturing almost any body part you can think of.

While I don't want to add an extra year of learning to my residency, I do want to be proficient enough to feel comfortable being the only doc in a small ED. I may need to either add learning through simulations or electives.

I really hope that my Internal Medicine rotation that I start next will be more fruitful.

No comments: