Sunday, July 12, 2009

Emerg!!

I think I'm in love with Emergency medicine. It's easy to jump back and forth between patients and see many different things. I got to spend the last 2 nights hanging out with my preceptor for clinical. She's wonderful and I'd consider her to be a mentor.

A list of the things I can now say I've done:
  • sutured a finger and put in a nerve block (grab the other end higher HIGHER, little bit of lidocaine just under the skin before going deeper, watch for tenting on the other side)
  • performed several neuro, msk, cranial nerve exams
  • diagnosed cataracts
  • helped reduce a displaced wrist fracture
  • used a silver nitrate stick to stop bleeding (use water if not currently bleeding!)
Not as many things as I wish I could have done, but still a good couple of nights!

No comments: